James P. Bailey, M.D.
Specialties:Back, Neck & Spine, Elbow, Foot & Ankle, Hand & Wrist, Hip, Knee, Shoulder, Sports Medicine
Dr. James Bailey is a board-certified orthopedic specialist who has undergone extensive training, specifically in joint and spine care. He joined OrthoAlabama Spine & Sports in 1990 and provides nonoperative care for a wide array of bone, joint, and muscle injuries and conditions, including arthritis. Dr. Bailey strives to provide each patient with the highest level of care possible and is committed to helping his patients get back to enjoying the activities they love.
After receiving his Bachelor of Science degree from Auburn University, Dr. Bailey attended The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine to earn his Doctor of Medicine degree. Following medical school, he completed a surgical internship at The University of Alabama University Medical Center as well as a residency in orthopedic surgery. Dr. Bailey decided to undergo additional training after his residency through a fellowship in joint replacement at the University of Pittsburgh as well as a fellowship in reconstructive spine surgery at the Medical College of Pennsylvania.
In addition to providing patient-centered care, Dr. Bailey is dedicated to improving the medical field. As part of this dedication, he works with The Joint Commission as well as the Federal Drug Agency to continue to enhance patient safety and increase the quality of care patients receive.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry: Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Surgical Internship: The University of Alabama University Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: The University of Alabama University Medical Center, Birmingham, AL
- Joint Replacement Fellowship: University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Reconstructive Spine Surgery Fellowship: Medical College of Pennsylvania (Allegheny Campus), Pittsburgh, PA
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Auburn University College of Sciences and Mathematics Advisory Council
- Auburn University Samford Society
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
- University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Orthopaedic Alumni Association