OrthoAlabama Spine & Sports will be offering sports physicals for area student-athletes on Sept. 10, from 4 to 8 p.m., in Birmingham at 1801 Gadsden Highway. To help ensure the health and safety of athletes, the practice’s specialty-trained…
Mark E. Rogers, M.D.
Specialties:Elbow, Joint Replacement, Knee, Shoulder, Sports Medicine
Dr. Mark Rogers is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine, arthroscopy, joint replacement, and shoulder and elbow injuries and conditions. He joined OrthoAlabama Spine & Sports in 2016 and is dedicated to working with each of his patients to develop a personalized care plan that gets them back to enjoying the activities they love.
A native of Rome, Georgia, Dr. Rogers graduated summa cum laude from Auburn University with a bachelor’s degree in biomedical science. He earned his medical degree from The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, graduating cum laude. While there, he was also inducted into the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. Following medical school, Dr. Rogers completed his residency training in orthopedic surgery at The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, where he served as administrative chief resident. As chief resident, he received the Kurt M.W. Niemann Award for Outstanding Senior Resident and served at the American Orthopaedic Association Resident Leadership Forum.
After his residency, Dr. Rogers underwent additional training through a sports medicine/shoulder and elbow fellowship at OrthoCarolina in Charlotte, North Carolina. He has served as a team doctor for the Carolina Panthers (NFL), the NFL Scouting Combine, the Charlotte Knights (Triple-A affiliate of the Chicago White Sox), the Charlotte Hounds (Major League Lacrosse), The University of North Carolina at Charlotte, Davidson College, Gardner-Webb University, and Queens University of Charlotte as well as for a number of high school teams in Birmingham and Charlotte.
Dr. Rogers is an expert in arthroscopic and reconstructive surgery of the shoulder, elbow, hip, and knee. He also specializes in performing joint replacements as well as joint preservation surgeries of the knee, including cartilage restoration and ligament reconstruction.
In addition to providing patient-centered orthopedic care, Dr. Rogers is dedicated to improving the medical field through research. His research has focused on refining surgical techniques in ACL reconstruction, cartilage restoration, meniscus repair, shoulder stabilization, rotator cuff repair, and shoulder replacement.
When he is not seeing patients, Dr. Rogers enjoys playing golf, grilling, coaching youth sports, and spending time with his family.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Science: Auburn University, Auburn, AL
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Sports Medicine/Shoulder & Elbow Fellowship: OrthoCarolina, Charlotte, NC
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certification in Sports Medicine: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Alabama Orthopaedic Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Arthroscopy Association of North America
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
Hospital/Surgery Center Affiliations
- Ashville High School
- Mayhem on the Mountain CrossFit Competition