OrthoAlabama Spine & Sports will be offering sports physicals for area student-athletes on Sept. 10, from 4 to 8 p.m., in Birmingham at 1801 Gadsden Highway. To help ensure the health and safety of athletes, the practice’s specialty-trained doctors will safely provide expert screenings at no cost during the sports physicals event.
Specialties:Elbow, Hip, Joint Replacement, Knee, Shoulder, Sports Medicine
Tyler J. Marshall, M.D., is an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sports medicine and uses minimally invasive techniques to treat injuries and conditions of the knee, shoulder, hip, and elbow. Dr. Marshall is an expert shoulder and knee surgeon with specialty training in rotator cuff, labrum, ACL, meniscus, and cartilage injuries. He is one of a few surgeons in Alabama that offers arthroscopic hip surgery for the treatment of non-arthritic hip conditions. He also offers minimally invasive joint replacement of the shoulder and knee. Dr. Marshall is committed to providing patient-centered care and partners with each patient to develop an individualized care plan that meets their needs and gets them back to enjoying the activities they love.
A Birmingham native, Dr. Marshall earned his Bachelor of Science degree in chemical engineering in 2004 from The University of Alabama. He completed his medical education and orthopedic surgery residency training at The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine. Following his residency training, he went on to complete his fellowship training in sports medicine at the prestigious Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland, Ohio, which is ranked third in the United States by U.S. News & World Report. During his fellowship, he was a team doctor for local high schools, John Carroll University, the Cleveland Indians, and the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Dr. Marshall has published peer-reviewed journal articles on a wide spectrum of orthopedic topics. He has lectured both locally and at national sports medicine conferences. His current research interests include shoulder instability, the rotator cuff, improving ACL outcomes, and the thrower’s elbow.
He is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, the American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, The Warthog Society, and the Medical Association of the State of Alabama.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering: The University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, AL
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Sports Medicine Fellowship: Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, OH
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Subspecialty Certification in Sports Medicine: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
- The Warthog Society
- Grandview Medical Center
- Outpatient CareCenter