OrthoAlabama Spine & Sports will be offering sports physicals for area student-athletes on Sept. 10, from 4 to 8 p.m., in Birmingham at 1801 Gadsden Highway. To help ensure the health and safety of athletes, the practice’s specialty-trained doctors will safely provide expert screenings at no cost during the sports physicals event.
Mary E. Gilmer, M.D.
Specialties:Foot & Ankle, Joint Replacement & Revision, Knee, Orthopedic Trauma, Sports Medicine
Dr. Mary Gilmer is a board-certified, fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon who specializes in providing surgical and nonsurgical care for the foot, ankle, and knee. She is from Birmingham, Alabama, in the Trussville area and attended JCIB for high school and Birmingham-Southern College for her undergraduate studies. Even before reaching high school, she knew that medicine was in her future. Her earliest experience with orthopedics started after an unfortunate slide accident at school, which resulted in meeting Dr. Perry Savage for the first time. That experience had a profound impact on the rest of her life.
After college, she went to The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine for medical school and confirmed that orthopedics was definitely her field—a decision that was possibly aided by a few more injuries while playing competitive, travel ultimate Frisbee. She completed her residency in orthopedic surgery at Baylor College of Medicine in Houston, Texas. While in Texas, she developed a passion for racing mountain bikes—to the point that for their first anniversary, she and her husband, William, gave each other their race entry fee rather than a present.
After residency, she chose to do a fellowship in foot and ankle surgery. The choice was again based on interest, personal experience, and the desire to help people walk again without pain. After completing her fellowship, she returned to Birmingham and joined Dr. Savage at OrthoAlabama Spine & Sports. She now lives in Chelsea with her husband and puppy. She coaches a middle school and high school mountain bike race team—Red Mountain Composite—which is composed of kids from all over the Birmingham area. She still races her bike and plays ultimate Frisbee, runs a race or two per year, kayaks, hikes, and plays outside whenever she’s not at work.
Education & Training
- Bachelor of Arts in History/Bachelor of Science in Biology: Birmingham-Southern College, Birmingham, AL
- Doctor of Medicine: The University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine, Birmingham, AL
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency: Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
- Foot & Ankle Surgery Fellowship for Orthopedic, Athletic, and Reconstructive Research: The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, Houston, TX
- Board Certification: American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Orthopaedic Foot & Ankle Society
- Medical Association of the State of Alabama
- Jefferson County Medical Society
- Grandview Medical Center
- St. Vincent’s East